Subject: Re: pthread + pkgsrc proposal
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/2004 12:41:31
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> For pkgsrc, I will be making changes so that if the package uses
> dlopen(), then it will be automatically linked with pthread support.

sigh... yawn... well, I don't care either way.  But it may be a little
presumptuous to do it in a non-threaded perl....

Make sure to add this to devel/libltdl/{Makefile,buildlink3.mk} as well.
Everything using libltdl is using dlopen(), though not everything using
libtool necessarily is.  (Some packages still need to be fixed to use
devel/libltdl/convenience.mk because they are using non-pkgsrc-fixed copies
of libltdl bundled in their source trees, but such packages are using dlopen
as well.)

As to how to do the PKGREVISION bump:  I'd recommend BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED
for this purpose, per my suggestions on how to use RECOMMENDED most
effectively, so that folks who "know what they're doing" by setting
IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes are not forced to upgrade right away.

Note that this assumes the bump does not cause an ABI change for loadable
modules.  If the change is ABI-afflicting, then BUILDLINK_DEPENDS should be
bumped, as well as all direct descendants (non-recursively).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>