Subject: Re: pkgviews-ification of packages (was: Re: net/gtk-gnutella and pkgviews)
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2004 14:01:14
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:04:42AM +0100, Lars Nordlund wrote:

> I believe that the INSTALLATION_DIRS variable is needed because this
> package is a bit sparse lacking its own Makefile containing installation
> directives creating neccessary directories??

Yes, this is correct use for INSTALLATION_DIRS.

> PKG_INSTALLATION_TYPES will tell the system that this package supports
> pkgviews.
>
> USE_BUILDLINK3 is needed for pkgviews to work. I think this package is
> ok for buildlink3. It is almost equal to pkgtools/pkg_chk so I that is
> inspiration.
>
> Most other packages are already of buildlink3 type so often the
> PKG_INSTALLATION_TYPES variable is enough.
>

> Following this pattern I quickly fixed a lot of packages. emacs, mplayer
> gtk2.. and so on.
>

> What am I missing here? What is the catch?

There is no catch.  This is generally how a package is converted to
be pkgviews-enabled.  However, pkgviews still carries the "experimental"
tag, and since the design of pkgviews has some problems and isn't yet
set in stone, we've held off on converting packages to use it until
those problems can be fixed.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>