Subject: depending on both perl and perl-thread harmful?
To: None <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2004 14:43:34

Iwill describe my problem first, then explain how it is related to
dependencies on Perl.

I had problems with p5-subversion described in . I guessed
that it was because svn is threaded and I should use perl-thread instead
of perl. So I did pkg_delete -f perl and compiled and installed
perl-thread. (I didn't rebuild all the packages depending on perl, because
they all had a dependency like "Requires: {perl>=5.0,perl-thread>=5.0}" so
I thought that as soon as I install perl-thread, everything will be fine.)
But when trying to install p5-SVN-Mirror, perl was dumnping core again,
this time with a segmentation violation. I decided that maybe this is an
incompatibility between swig-perl (which was built against perl) and
perl-thread. So I rebuilt swig-perl and everything seems to be OK.

So, if the analysis above correct, then there is something wrong with

1/ why does p5-subversion specify that it needs perl or perl-thread when
it is actually incompatible with perl?

2/ why does the swig-perl package register dependency on perl or
perl-thread if it can work correctly only with that one it was built

I'm not familiar enough with pkgsrc internals to tell what exactly is
wrong - could please somebody look at this?

Thanks and bye	Pavel