Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2004 13:51:32
--sLx0z+5FKKtIVDwd

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:10:15PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > fwiw, it's *extremely* convenient to be able to rm -rf /usr/pkg and
> > /var/db/pkg and start from scratch, on any pkgsrc system, anywhere.
> >=20
> > a solution which would not break this would be good.
>=20
> I disagree.  I use that "feature" myself -- but I shouldn't, because
> if I have to sidestep the package tools in that way, it's evidence
> of a bug, and I should instead just fix the bug.

we will always face this problem when dealing with 3rd party software,
and pkgsrc will never, as much as we would like it to be, bug free.

> If we don't share a database directory, maintaining dependencies
> between system packages and pkgsrc packages -- which will multiply
> wildly when people start installing and removing parts of the base
> system as system packages will let them do -- will become an insane
> mess.  I think we need to recognize and live with the overhead of
> keeping all the data in one place before we are forced to slowly and
> painfully realize that the alternative is much worse.

that may be true, but do we then share a pkgdbdir with FreeBSD base
system? OpenBSD? other? I certainly hope not, that is just asking for
a disaster to happen.

if there is a way, guaranteed as much as rm -rf /var/db/pkg is, to
remove all pkgsrc pkgdb dirs but leave the base system directories
intact, that seems like a reasonable solution. it should not be made
any more difficult than it currently is (ie. trivial) to start again
with a fresh pkgsrc slate.

grant.

--sLx0z+5FKKtIVDwd

--sLx0z+5FKKtIVDwd--