Subject: Re: problems with packages (was Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets)
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/12/2004 15:51:18
Jim Wise said:

>We've _had_ this capability for about two years now.  If you'll go back
>and read the thread through from the beginning, you'll note that this
>entire thread started with the question of how to integrate this support
>into the default system install.

There needs to be a way of installing that does not use the pkgsrc tools.
That is, the way it is installed now.

I use tar to install on sun3 and other such small machines.

The pkg tools are not reliable enough to support the syspkg concept. The
pkgsrc concept is basically only good for building software that has many
parts, kde, mozilla, etc. It does not provide an environment where software
can be reliably upgraded.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com