Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/12/2004 13:10:15
On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 08:11:29PM +1100, grant beattie wrote:
> fwiw, it's *extremely* convenient to be able to rm -rf /usr/pkg and
> /var/db/pkg and start from scratch, on any pkgsrc system, anywhere.
>
> a solution which would not break this would be good.

I disagree.  I use that "feature" myself -- but I shouldn't, because
if I have to sidestep the package tools in that way, it's evidence
of a bug, and I should instead just fix the bug.

If we don't share a database directory, maintaining dependencies
between system packages and pkgsrc packages -- which will multiply
wildly when people start installing and removing parts of the base
system as system packages will let them do -- will become an insane
mess.  I think we need to recognize and live with the overhead of
keeping all the data in one place before we are forced to slowly and
painfully realize that the alternative is much worse.