Subject: Re: Packages of Zope 2.7.2, Plone 2.0.4 and some Plone stuff
To: Pierre Bourgin <pierre.bourgin@pcotech.fr>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/11/2004 09:41:27
	version=3.0.0
Sender: tech-pkg-owner@NetBSD.org

As I have mentioned previously, I have a whole list of zope packages I
have been working on.  They include:

    zope27-GroupUserFolder-2.0.1 Zope GroupUserFolder
    zope27-2.7.2        Zope, the Z Object Publishing Environment (v2.7.2)
    zope27-AbracadabraObject-2.0.1 Pre-configured objects with only one click
    zope27-CMF-1.4.4    Content Management Framework for Zope
    zope27-CMFFormController-1.0.2 SHORT_DESCRIPTION_OF_THE_PACKAGE
    zope27-Archetypes-1.2.5 Framework for the development of new Content Types in Zope/CMF/Plone.
    zope27-BTreeFolder2-1.0 Optimized folder
    zope27-BackTalk-0.3 Editing, commenting, and publication for books
    zope27-CMFActionIcons-0.9 A Zope product which is useful with Zope CMF products
    zope27-CMFQuickInstallerTool-1.5.0 SHORT_DESCRIPTION_OF_THE_PACKAGE
    zope27-Calendar-1.0.10 The Calendar Tag
    zope27-CookieCrumbler-1.1 Cookie-based authentication
    zope27-EasyImage-1.5 Image extension for Zope
    zope27-Epoz-0.8.0   Wysiwyg editor component
    zope27-ExternalEditor-0.7.2 Use an external editor to modify Zope objects
    zope27-FileSystemSite-1.4.1 Store data in the file system instead of ZODB
    zope27-Formulator-1.6.2 Zope framework for web forms
    zope27-JPicture-2_0 Present your photos quickly in zope
    zope27-Annotations-0.4.3 Annotations is a generic way to add information to arbitrary Zope objects.
    zope27-LocalFS-1.0.0 Local file access for zope
    zope27-PlacelessTranslationService-1.0fork-rc7 SHORT_DESCRIPTION_OF_THE_PACKAGE
    zope27-mysqlUserFolder-1.0.2 A Zope user folder which uses a MySQL database to store user information
    zope27-CMFPlone-2.0.3 Content Management System
    zope27-DocumentLibrary-1.0rc1 Searchable and browsable document libraries
    zope27-ParsedXML-1.4 Allows you to use XML objects in the Zope environment
    zope27-ProxyIndex-1.1.2 ProxyIndex is a plugin catalog index for Zope.
    zope27-XMLWidgets-0.10.3 XMLWidgets is a Zope Product/Framework to create dynamic translations of ParsedXML documents to HTML pages.
    zope27-Silva-1.0.1  Browser based publication system
    zope27-Squishdot-1-5-0 Squishdot is a news publishing and discussion product for Zope.
    zope27-ZMySQLDA-2.0.9b2 MySQL Database adaptor for Zope

These packages are using a meta-package "zope2", which is similar to
the Python package, and the packages themselves are packaged with
directory names such as "www/zope2-CMFPlone".  I have offered to make
these packages available as a tarball in the past, and have posted the
URL to see them via cvsweb.  The main reasons they have not yet gone
into pkgsrc-wip and then into pgksrc are:

0) There have been some transitory problems building a few packages on
   which I depend for my overall builds using the head of the pkgsrc
   tree.
1) Some Zope products are giving me errors during the python
   compilation.  Still trying to figure out who to get it to tell me
   what is glitching.
2) There have been several new releases, such as zope 2.7.3 and CMF
   1.5 released in the past month or so.  This is important, since
3) I have found a couple of bugs in key places, such as during the
   inital login to a Plone site, which I have been hoping are fixed
   with a new version of Plone, or some other package.  I have even
   noted that under some circumstances, it is possible to get Plone to
   give errors during the signup process itself.
4) Lack of input from most folks in the community.

BTW...After several discussions and and much reading, I concluded that
it is probably a good thing to break out the individual packages from
within Plone and several other packages.  This will allow for updating
of the parts, or for persons to select a package such as GRUF without
needing to pick up all of Plone.

- Doug

Quoting Pierre Bourgin (pierre.bourgin@pcotech.fr):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com