Subject: Re: sandbox builds + Re: Removing All Packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2004 10:11:35
	version=3.0.0
Sender: tech-pkg-owner@NetBSD.org

And heaven forbid you get an error building/updating pkg X while still
needing to do pkgs Y and Z which depended upon X, and have to wait
several days or more for someone to fix the build of X so you can
start using pkg Z again on a hourly/daily basis.  I was bitten by that
one way too many times in just a couple of months to use that method
again.  My method of doing builds in a sandbox which exists off to the
side someplace has kept me from having to suffer like that.  And when
you add to it the fact that I always keep a copy of what I have pushed
to machines (source and all builds), I can continue to install new
machines, make new copies and tweek them, etc. while waiting on
someone to fix pkg X, or find the time to fix it myself (as I had to
do with xview) is a major advantage I will never pass up on again.

- Doug

Quoting Sean Davis (dive@endersgame.net):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com