Subject: Re: RECOMMENDED
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2004 13:44:30
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> I admit I did not follow the discussion about RECOMMNDED. Since it generates
> DEPENDS by default, it's getting really annoying in practice - it's
> widely abused to force the _latest_ available package version,
> which is just bogus.  For example, I had whole KDE3 installation
> rebuilt on make update because of libgcrypt RECOMMENDED line.

Set IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes in your mk.conf.

As for libgcrypt, I don't know. The CVS changelog says: "Re: pkg/27317 The
header gcrypt.h references struct timeval without including sys/time.h.
Added the patch summitted with PR that adds an include for sys/time.h.
Bumped PKGREVISION."

I had suggested that the BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED.libgcrypt should only have
been bumped for packages that actually failed. (I was told the package
that had failed to build was security/gnupg-devel with -Werror.)

> Can please the default be changed to not generate the DEPENDS, but only
> some kind of build-time warning?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/