Subject: Re: pkg_install problem
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/2004 09:59:21
On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 04:11:54AM -0800, John Klos wrote:

> >Try re-adding the following two lines to the Makefile:
> >NO_PKG_REGISTER=       # defined
> >NO_PACKAGE=            Deinstallation is not permitted
>
> Yep, that did it. I'm surprised that with this committed so long ago there
> weren't other complaints.

	The whole point of removing those was to make it possible to create an
actual pkg_install package.  It sucks to have to go and grab the entire
pkgsrc tar file just to install a single package, when all the other can
be installed as binary packages.
	I think the problem of not be able to upgrade the pkg_install package
needs to be fixed, probably by having the update/replace targets be
a little more intelligent about installing it.  Perhaps add an option to
pkg_delete that will delete the package registration but not the actual
files.

eric