Subject: Re: feh-1.2.7 requires jpegint.h
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.nopcode.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2004 12:22:03
On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 01:27:49AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:

> I would like to update graphics/feh to 1.2.7, but this requires
> a header not installed by graphics/jpeg, "jpegint.h"... can I install
> this file and bump BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED to this version?

I would suggest to look a bit deeper at why it is needed first - and
then try to change the root cause.

I've been using the jpgeint.h CSTATE_* defines for optimized decoder
loops (i.e. stoping decoding as soon as the size is known). This is a very
specialized application, and I realy needed this (since libjpeg decoding
is awfully slow). I can't realy thing of other common uses of jpegint.h,
and this could be abstracted into a few state-checking macros.

I think that

 - either graphics/jpeg should install the jpegint.h header - since some
   applications need it (as the comment in that file suggests)
 - or we should convince the libjpeg people to add the missing state-checking
   macros to jpeg.h (like #define JPEG_DECODE_PROPS_KNOWN(state)
   ((state)>=202), and probably a few others)

Martin