Subject: Re: MySQL-4.1.7 -> production release
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.nopcode.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2004 10:42:43
Juan RP wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:38:26 +0000 (UTC)
> John Klos <john@ziaspace.com> wrote:
>
> > I both agree that there are many installations running 3.something, and
> > that it'd be great to have 4.0.x and 4.1.x in pkgsrc.
>
> Ok, done! :)

Thanks for the 4.1 import :)

I think it's not necessary to keep 4.0 in pkgsrc. 4.x users would
probably want to upgrade to 4.1 ASAP, since it has long avaited
functionality such as subselects - 4.0 release itself was not
much of breakthrough besides relation support. Very likely,
the 4.0.x line would get very little (if any) attention now that 4.1
is stabilized. IMHO we don't need both 4.0.x and 4.1.x in pkgsrc.

I also think that it's somewhat confusing that mysql-* is 4.0 and
mysql4-* is 4.1. If there need to be both, they should be in
mysql40-* and mysql41-*. Having mysql-client at 4.0.x now also
means that next time I do make update of e.g. php4-mysql, it would
update my 3.x installation to 4.x, which is not good.

For our pkgsrc framework, it would be neat if mysql-client would
be kept as convenience build wrapper similar to lang/python, for
apps which don't care about actual MySQL version. It should pick
up dependence on installed mysql client lib (either mysql3-client
or mysql4-client), and probably prefer dependance on 4.x if neither
is installed yet. mysql-server can probably just be removed.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-