Subject: Re: shared objects installed without execute permission bogus warning?
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2004 09:32:24
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, grant beattie wrote:

> > Classically, *all* shared objects, dlopen()ed or not, required execute
> > permission, because that permission was used to govern whether mmap()ed
> > pages could be marked executable.  This warning is therefore quite correct.
>
> Solaris ships with (some) non-executable shared libraries, and
> this change breaks x11-links where /usr/openwin is read-only (eg.
> chroot) because it tries to chmod symlinks:

Uh, x11-links should have shlib handling turned off.  I'll look into that:

> ===> [Automatic none shared object handling]

This looks a little strange.  It shouldn't be doing the shlib chmods in that
case.  I'll fix.

> I don't know if test -h is supported on IRIX5, and it's easier to just
> not do it unless needed.

> should I add _OPSYS_SHLIB_EXEC to platform/*.mk ?

Definitely not.

I want to make sure all packages are watched for improper permissions [on
all platforms using ELF/a.out-style shlibs] so that the package maintainers
will fix these things.  Even if some platforms have loose permissions, it is
a bug, and should not be foisted upon just one person or a small group of
persons to clean up everyone else's mess.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>