Subject: Re: PKG_SYSCONFDIR=/etc ?
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.nopcode.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2004 20:16:07
Juan RP wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:02:29 -0400
> Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Is there any reason not to set PKG_SYSCONFDIR=/etc? It just seems to
>>make sense, for example, to have config files in /etc rather than in
>>/usr/pkg. This way we can still blow away /usr/pkg if necessary and
>>still retain our config files.
>

> Yes, there is one... because /etc is only for the base system, not
> for third party packages (all them installed by pkgsrc).
>
> If you modify any configuration file, the file will not be removed when
> the package has been removed, that's CONF_FILES used for and
> bsd.pkg.install.mk.

Understood - however, I see no detriment to having these files in /etc.
It in no way interferes with the base system.

After all, the /etc in the base system is intended to be modified for
each specific system. It has to be. So, my thinking is: why not put all
the config files there and leave /usr/pkg untouched?

 From what I can tell, CONF_FILES should continue to work as expected,
however I would want examples in /usr/pkg/share/examples instead of
/etc. Perhaps there is a variable for this too?

I'm not proposing this as a change to pkgsrc, but as a personal
preference set up in mk.conf.

So the question really is: Is it safe to set...

PKG_SYSCONFBASE=/etc

... and perhaps ...

PKG_EXAMPLE_DIR (if there is such a thing) = /usr/pkg/share/examples

... in mk.conf?

-- Louis