Subject: Re: package upgrade notify, 1st shot
To: iMil <>
From: Thomas Klausner <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2004 17:40:04
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:45:04PM +0200, iMil wrote:
> I really don't like site-specific code, but this one was unavoidable :/

> Should work with SF archives now

Some other notes:
The one bug I reported is still there: When an e.g. ftp site
does not answer, like did in my case, the script
just stops instead of skipping that site or that package:

- checking for newer version of archivers/gcpio
 \ actual distname version: 2.5
 \ master site:
Can't call method "login" on an undefined value at ./pkg_notify line 74.
Cannot connect to site: Net::FTP: connect: Invalid argument$

[The '$ ' is the command prompt, there's a newline missing too.]

Packages using MASTER_SITE_LOCAL should be skipped.

Some packages have the version in the pathname; checking
there won't always produce the wanted result (but there's no
easy way to check, except go one or two or .. levels higher
and look for other paths -- not easy to generalize automatically,
I think). Examples: bzip2; gnome

Btw, how about a pkgsrc-wip package for it? :) It's getting