Subject: Re: should "make update" check for new version first?
To: Roman Kennke <roman@cognition.uni-freiburg.de>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2004 14:17:55
Sender: tech-pkg-owner@NetBSD.org

Rather than killing manually, perhaps we should see about putting in
some sort of watchdog timeout mechanism.  I know it could be done in
shells, and is relatively simple to do.  But the best method would be
smart enough to set that the file is being updated and reschedule, or
to teach the ftp client to have a timeout.  I know I have one web bot
which has such a timeout, which is started before every read or other
blocking operation and canceled after it returns.

Thoughts?

- Doug

Quoting Thomas Klausner (wiz@NetBSD.org):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com