Subject: Re: should "make update" check for new version first?
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2004 14:13:25
Sender: tech-pkg-owner@NetBSD.org

As I pointed out some time ago, I have a sandbox method of my own,
which uses union mounts, and from which I use rdist to push things to
the target machines, and have even done upgrades from one version to
another (such as two so far from 1.6.2 to 2.0).  It has even worked in
the past for my firewall while handling traffic going from 1.5 to 1.6.
The only outage besides the reboot was a few minutes to realize I
forgot to turn forwarding on in the new install. 8) Anyways, you can
see the scripts via cvsweb at the URL:

    http://www.ka8zrt.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/netbsd_build/

BTW...you may want to hold off for a couple of hours after I send this
message before you try to see it.  I have an rdist going to my web
server to upgrade it to 2.0RC4, so things are a bit slow and possibly
not 100% stable. ;)

- Doug

Quoting Alistair Crooks (agc@pkgsrc.org):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com