Subject: Re: audio/flac broken with 2.0
To: Ben Collver <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2004 19:02:49

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:28:33AM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> I have been led to believe that Linux has ppc instead of powerpc for

as in many other things this depends on the distribution, but as far as
the gnu toolchain is concerned, the platform is powerpc.  e.g., take a
look into config.sub, "powerpc" is copied verbatim, "ppc" is always
translated into "powerpc".

> For Linux, does this look like an appropriate fix?
> .elif ${OPSYS} =3D=3D "Linux"
> LOWER_OPSYS?=3D           linux
> MACHINE_ARCH:=3D          ${MACHINE_ARCH:C/i.86/i386/}
> MACHINE_ARCH:=3D		${MACHINE_ARCH:C/ppc/powerpc/}
> .  if !defined(LOWER_ARCH)
> LOWER_ARCH!=3D            ${UNAME} -m | sed -e 's/i.86/i386/' -e 's/ppc/p=

i think it's ok.  anyone else wants to comment on this?  i don't even
use pkgsrc on Linux myself..

> If you look at the Linux cases in audio/mpg123/Makefile.common and
> devel/p4/Makefile.common, they test for MACHINE_ARCH =3D=3D "powerpc".  I
> don't have this hardware and I wonder, is this something that actually
> needs to be fixed?

me neither, but what's true for one distribution could be completely
orthogonal to what other distributions do..  i certainly wouldn't be
surprised if it is fine on some and wrong on others.

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)