Subject: Re: should "make update" check for new version first?
To: Dick Davies <>
From: Alistair Crooks <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2004 19:32:00
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 03:50:29PM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
> * Ronald van der Pol <> [1047 15:47]:
> [snip discussion - though a big 'me too' on the 'build new then remove old'
> issue ]
> > I have heard horror stories about that one too.
> It bites your hand off in a few edge cases, but it's still a lot
> better than make update.
> I'm not trolling, just try them both and see.

Another viewpoint is to set up a sandbox, and to build all the
packages you want in that sandbox.  Then, when you know that
everything has been built to your satisfaction, you can cut over your

There are a number of ways to do builds in sandboxes - pkg_comp, the
bulk build mechanism, mksandbox, libkver and other ways also spring to