Subject: Re: should "make update" check for new version first?
To: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2004 19:32:00
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 03:50:29PM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
> * Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org> [1047 15:47]:
>
> [snip discussion - though a big 'me too' on the 'build new then remove old'
> issue ]
>
> > I have heard horror stories about that one too.
>
> It bites your hand off in a few edge cases, but it's still a lot
> better than make update.
>
> I'm not trolling, just try them both and see.

Another viewpoint is to set up a sandbox, and to build all the
packages you want in that sandbox.  Then, when you know that
everything has been built to your satisfaction, you can cut over your
trees.

There are a number of ways to do builds in sandboxes - pkg_comp, the
bulk build mechanism, mksandbox, libkver and other ways also spring to
mind.

Regards,
Alistair