Subject: More on pkgviews vs. overwrite (was: make update hell)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/17/2004 10:16:33
The discussion about the pros/cons of pkgviews over in the other thread has
made me think about using pkgviews in some limited circumstances, but... it
seems that this is not possible in the current system.

Why is it explicitly not possible to have a pkgviews package depend on a
package installed as overwrite?  It seems to me that invoking the existing
bl3 link-in logic would provide the necessary safeguards against using the
wrong API/ABI (as bl3 intended).  Given that, I don't see how pkgviews would
have a problem linking to overwrite-installed packages.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>