Subject: Re: make update hell
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/15/2004 16:34:13
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I had suggested before that IGNORE_RECOMMENDED should default to "yes".
> Then everyone by default would use the old (but proven) dependencies. Then
> if RECOMMENDED was always disabled, then we could set
> BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED to the latest and greatest and those who choose to
> use the RECOMMENDED system would get what they deserve :)
>
> Then we'd have three ways to use pkgsrc (not counting pkgviews): stable
> collection, current pkgsrc using BUILDLINK_DEPENDS (this would be the
> default), and current pkgsrc using the RECOMMENDED.
>
> I suggest that IGNORE_RECOMMENDED be renamed "USE_RECOMMENDED" and the
> usaged reversed?
>
> What do you all think about that?

To be clear, it should be renamed because it is not "recommended". The
DEPENDS/BUILDLINK_DEPENDS shows exactly the minimum of what is required.
It is recommended because it works and it is recommended because it keeps
updates simpler.

One idea is to have the RECOMMENDED system be renamed to LATEST (or
NEWEST). And only those who choose "USE_LATEST_DEPENDS" will be forced to
depend on the BUILDLINK_LATEST_DEPENDS/LATEST_DEPENDS.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/