Subject: New package py-pgnotify
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/15/2004 16:38:08
I have prepared a package for this module that allows PyGreSQL (and
possibly other adapters) to use NOTIFY/LISTEN in PostgreSQL.  Anyone
have any problem with me importing it?  The package can be seen at
ftp://ftp.druid.net/pub/distrib/py-pgnotify_pkg.tgz.

I'm sorry to bug everyone with these questions but I am not actually
part of the pkgsrc team so I don't want to import things without getting
approval first.

pgnotify is a PostgreSQL client-side asynchronous notification handler
for
Python and PyGreSQL.

Typically, asynchronous notification is used to communicate the message
"I
changed this table, take a look at it to see what's new" from one
PostgreSQL
client to other interested PostgreSQL clients.

A useful programming technique is to generate asynchronous notification
in a
rule that is triggered by table updates; this way, notification happens
automatically when the table is changed and the application programmer
can't
accidentally forget to do it.

At present, pgnotify works with PyGreSQL only. It should work with PoPy
and
psycopg when those modules provide Pythonic interfaces to additional
necessary
PostgreSQL client-side functions, as described in the README.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/