Subject: Re: Weird xauth problem
To: Nathan J. Williams <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/2004 11:38:35
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:00:59AM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon <> writes:
> > When I start firefox-gtk2 I get this:
> >
> >     $ firefox-gtk2
> >     Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> >     Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
> >
> >     (firefox-bin:371): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> All on local disk? I've had problems like this a few times with
> .Xauthority files from the wrong machines when NFS homedirs are
> involved, or that were inappropriately copied during a system backup.

All on NFS, actually -- this machine is diskless.  Does something
pass file descriptors around?

What is extremely strange here is that _only_ firefox-gtk2 would
consistently claim an auth problem; all other X apps ran fine.  Does
GTK2, or Firefox, or _something_ use a different xauth method that
might have some sort of issue of this kind?  I notice some new (to
me, anyway) xauth methods showed up recently...

 Thor Lancelot Simon