Subject: Re: Anyone using zope25-CMFPlone? Update needed
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Laurent DAVERIO <daverio@cri.ensmp.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/12/2004 10:19:40
--------------enigB58C38060689145D8A3AEB66

Hi Jeremy,

> If you use zope25-CMFPlone and have time to do an update, please assist.

from my experience as a Zope/Plone user on several platforms (FreeBSD, Linux,
Solaris, OS X, and even Windows), I would say that I prefer to keep Zope/Plone
out of the ports/packaging system for the following reasons :

- Zope and Plone are very easy to install : basically, just unpack a tgz file.
True, Zope 2.7 needs a ./configure, make, make install routine, but Zope is
written mostly in Python, the C parts are small and I've never seen gcc fail on
them.

- Basically, the hardest part to get Zope running is to get Python (2.3.4 for
Zope 2.7.2+) and its modules (PIL, odbc, PsycoPg, DCOracle2, ...) running and,
for this, pkgsrc/FreeBSD ports/DarwinPorts/... is invaluable.

- You may want to have several version of Zope and/or Plone coexist on the same
machine, and I'm not sure whether pkgsrc allows to do it more easily than the
manual way.

- Also, you *don't* want pkgsrc to decide when to switch Zope/Plone versions for
you. Plone has a very complex machinery, and is *VERY* sensitive as to which
version of Zope (and Python) you install it on. (e.g. : Plone 2.0.4 + Zope 2.7.2
: mostly OK, except heavy sessioning - Plone 2.0.4 + Zope 2.7.3b1 : no go).
Similarly, you might want to test ZopeX3 (the preview of Zope 3) alongside Zope
2...

Just my two cents, although I realize it might be slightly offtopic...

Laurent.

--

     Laurent DAVERIO
     Centre de Recherche en Informatique