Subject: Re: pkg/27162: pkgsrc creates an inadequate /etc/shells if it doesn't already exist.
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2004 16:05:06
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:51:08PM +0100, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> I think the third option is probably the best so far, but I worry about
> what happens in a NIS environment where getusershells(3) could go off and
> retrieve a remote database. Do we need to worry about this scenario? Does
> it even make sense to try to DTRT here?
>
> Does anybody have any better suggestions, or any pros/cons/votes for any
> of the above possibilities?

In a "credit where credit's due" frame of mind, I'd suggest that the
problem lies in Solaris itself - they are the ones who ship with no
/etc/shells file, thereby allowing every shell as a default - so the
problem should be fixed at source.

Until that's done, it's fairly obvious that we need to provide a
workaround, and Johnny's method is best, I think - have this as
part of the platform-dependent stuff in bootstrap.

But on to the point of my mail

1. are there any other platforms where this is a problem, too, though?

2. are there any other files which we need to provide to shore up
leaky operating system default installations?

Thanks,
Alistair