Subject: Re: pkg/27162: pkgsrc creates an inadequate /etc/shells if it doesn't already exist.
To: None <>
From: Jonathan Perkin <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2004 14:06:10
* On 2004-10-08 at 13:08 BST, Gavan Fantom wrote:

> * Not update /etc/shells if it's not present. This is easy to do,
>   but leaves users of the shells installed from pkgsrc unable to log
>   in without intervention from the administrator.

This would be my preferred option; intervention from the administrator
is needed anyway to install the shell, and getusershell(3) doesn't
seem to be too clever - it adds all the shells listed in the manpage
whether they are installed or not, and thereby create an /etc/shells
which does not agree with shells(4):

       The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system.
       Applications  use  this file to determine whether a shell is

A well-worded MESSAGE should suffice, in my opinion (and would be my
preferred way of dealing this with my sysadmin hat on).

Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project