Subject: Re: pkgsrc on Solaris
To: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2004 12:07:44
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Chris Jepeway wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2004, at 11:14 AM, Robert Lillack wrote:
>
>> One thing that could be useful to achive this goal (half of the
>> packages work) is manually setting
>>
>> AWK=/opt/local/pkg/bin/gawk
>>
>> in /etc/mk.conf *after* installing gawk from pkgsrc. Also, many
>> packages seem to have trouble with Solaris' sed and need
>> USE_GNU_TOOLS+=sed in their Makefile. I'm going to report these,
>> if I find the time.
> Would
>
> 		AWK=/usr/xpg4/bin/awk		( aka nawk )
>
> work instead?  As for sed, would

AWK defaults to /usr/bin/nawk on Solaris.

> 		SED=/usr/xpg4/bin/sed

SED defaults to ${LOCALBASE}/bin/nbsed on Solaris. That should be good
enough, and anything that needs a better sed here will need a better sed
on NetBSD too.

> handle it?  I realize the Solaris pkgsrc
> bootstrapping  might obviate all of this, but
> seems like using the native stuff is...more friendly.

There is no native sed on Solaris that's good enough for the heavy use
that buildlink3 makes of sed.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget