Subject: Re: Package naming and major versions [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20]
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2004 09:03:57
On 06/10/2004, at 1:53 AM, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>> What I had in mind was to create Makefile.inc files (great minds think
>> alike, eh, Al?) in all package category directories ("subordinate"
>> catagories included) that just contain the lines:
>>
>> 	.if exists("../Makefile.inc")
>> 	.  include "../Makefile.inc"
>> 	.endif
>
> I prefer if we'd keep the two-level naming scheme we use now - adding
> yet another 'indirection' directory is not really necessary and makes
> it unncessarily harder to figure what depends on what. Please keep
> things simple.

   Johnny, would it be possible to implement your changes in a way that
allows existing (2nd level) packages to remain unchanged?  I.e., only
3rd (or further) level packages need to include Makefile.inc and use
${PKGSRCDIR} in their include statements?

   This way we could gradually make these changes for packages that come
in different flavours (or versions).

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene