Subject: Re: Package naming and major versions [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20]
To: Johnny C. Lam <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2004 17:53:54
Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:47:45PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> >
> > One thing that we could look at doing is to have a parent directory
> > ""-style file, similar to those in src/, which would
> > provide a common way of defining _PKGSRCDIR, and include
> > appropriately.
> What I had in mind was to create files (great minds think
> alike, eh, Al?) in all package category directories ("subordinate"
> catagories included) that just contain the lines:
> 	.if exists("../")
> 	.  include "../"
> 	.endif

I prefer if we'd keep the two-level naming scheme we use now - adding
yet another 'indirection' directory is not really necessary and makes
it unncessarily harder to figure what depends on what. Please keep
things simple.

I do agree it would be nice to unify encoding of 'major' version into
pkg names for packages with more than one version in pkgsrc, however.
That should be done, IMHO.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-