Subject: Re: Package naming and major versions [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20]
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2004 22:57:30
On Oct 4, 2004, at 4:47 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 03:37:02AM +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>> I think we should fix up pkgsrc to allow subdirectories of arbitrary
>> depth containing packages within each category.
>
> This is a nice idea - we have long put off the prospect of moving to
> subordinate directories, and probably with good reason - there is a
> certain amount of logic that presupposes a rigid category/package
> structure.

If we're going to dramatically reorganize pkgsrc, can we get rid of
categories-as-directory-names and just split pkgsrc/ up by first letter
of package name or something? The current "organization" is full of
inconsistencies. Even after years of using it I sometimes have to do
"cd /usr/pkgsrc/*/pkgname" to find a package. (Why is zlib in devel,
but zziplib is in archivers? Why is SDL_image in graphics but SDL_gfx
is in devel? Why is xless in x11 but xtail in misc, or alternatively,
why is xtail in misc and wtail in sysutils? Etc, etc, etc)

-- Dan