Subject: Re: Doubled dependancies?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2004 23:36:31
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 04:53:23PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> "pkg_info emacs" returns this for the dependancies, now:
>
> jpeg>=6b
> jpeg>=6bnb2
> libungif>=4.1.0.1
> libungif>=4.1.3nb1
> png>=1.2.4
> png>=1.2.6nb1
> tiff>=3.6.1
> tiff>=3.6.1nb3
>
> ...looks fishy.  (^&  Is anyone else seeing this?  (I updated pkgsrc
> quite recently.)  It doesn't seem especially harmful, but also does
> not look right.
>
> This doesn't seem to have been mentioned in tech-pkg that I can see, so
> as far as I know it is unreported and unplanned.  I've never seen it
> before, so I assume that it is relatively new.
>
> Or does it reflect indirect dependancies?  Shouldn't only the "highest"
> dependancy be displayed?

This is a side-effect of the addition of the RECOMMENDED code after
the buildlink3 was merged.  We should move the buildlink3 "dependency
reduction" code into bsd.pkg.mk so that we reduce dependencies across
both DEPENDS and RECOMMENDED.  I can take a look at this later in the
week.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>