Subject: Re: 64-bit support in gcc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2004 14:01:41
sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> Greetings, I'm using pkgsrc on Solaris 9 to compile a C compiler from
> /usr/pkgsrc/lang/gcc3-c The problem is pkgsrc builds a compiler which
> does not support -m64 flag. Looking at Makefiles in pkgsrc I noticed
> that it passes --host=sparc-sun-solaris2 when configuring gcc, I think
> to build a compiler with 64-bit support it needs to be passed
> --host=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.9
>
> Any ideas how I could tell pkgsrc to build a biarch (32/64 bit) C compiler?
>
> Thanks

Well after tracing through several Makefiles I pinned down the variable
needed to compiler 64-bit capable gcc:

MACHINE_PLATFORM=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.9
MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.9

setting the above in /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf and building gcc in pkgsrc,
will produce a C compiler which by default generates 64-bit code, and
has support for generating 32-bit code with -m32 flag.