Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20
To: tech-pkg@netbsd.org, Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2004 07:06:13
In article <A7215096-1417-11D9-9665-000A95881EC6@netbsd.org> Rene wrote:
: > gal is:  DISTNAME=            gal-0.22

:    That's the gal-1 API

: > gal2 is: DISTNAME=   gal-2.2.1

:    This is the gal-2.2 API [...].

: > gal20 is DISTNAME=  gal-1.99.11

:    This is the original gal-2.0 API [...].

:    In a new project, you would probably use the latest version, while
: older applications may need an older version.

  Might I suggest, then, that gal is renamed to gal1 and gal2 to gal?
Since gal-2.2 is the default version (at least for new projects), I
think it's less confusing if it has the default name.

  Might I go even further and suggest that that be doucumented in
Packages.txt (or its XML replacement) (wording improvements welcome):

	If we need multiple versions of a package, e. g. if the new
	version is not backwards compatible, the newest version should
	get the unnumbered package name and old versions should get an
	abbreviation of the veresion number appended.  (E. g. foo for
	version 2.4, foo22 for version 2.2, and foo1 for version 1.x)

						yours,
						dillo