Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/gal20
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2004 12:06:20
On 02/10/2004, at 1:09 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>> Re-import gal-1.99.11 as gal20.
>
> This is confusing to me:

   The gnome libraries change API from time to time.  To avoid
incompatibilities, the gnome people change the directory structure at
the same time as well (therefore, these three packages won't conflict).
  For pkgsrc this means that when this happens, we cannot simply
"update" the packages, as the API would be incompatible and dependent
packages would no longer compile.  This is what happened, for example
with evolution-1.4.

> gal is:  DISTNAME=            gal-0.22

   That's the gal-1 API

> gal2 is: DISTNAME=   gal-2.2.1

   This is the gal-2.2 API (which is incompatible to gal-2.0).  When
gal-2.2. was first imported, this should not have been just an update
to the old gal2 package (instead, a gal22 package should have been
created to ensure backward compatibility).

> gal20 is DISTNAME=  gal-1.99.11

   This is the original gal-2.0 API (well, almost -- the corresponding
libraries never made it past 1.99.11, but that's a different story).

> Why gal20 and gal2?

   Because gnome-2.8.x depends on the gal-2.2 (gal2) API, while other
packages such as gtkhtml-3.0 and evolution-1.4 depend on gal-2.0
(gal20).

> All have same HOMEPAGE (which is not specific).

   Not all the libraries of the gnome project have their own homepage.
If you know of a more specific one for gal, please let me know.

> The gal2 and gal20 have same COMMENT and same DESCR. Can someone add
> something to distinguish these?

   I have added a comment about the different API versions these
libraries implement.

>  Why use one or the other?

   In a new project, you would probably use the latest version, while
older applications may need an older version.

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene