Subject: Re: Usefulness of pkgviews vs pkg_hack
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/2004 10:46:39
On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 12:58:49AM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> Or all packages should be converted to pkgviews, that would also work?
> Do real pkgviews packages that depend on other packages at least look
> for the depoted files only? (hmm,  how to test this... ah yes it appears
> to do so: expat-1.95.8nb1 which is a newer version and not in the
> default view, has registered that it is required by pango-1.6.0 which is
> also not in the default view. Hey but I do see something strange:
> /usr/pkg/packages/pango-1.6.0/+BUILD_INFO contains dependencies on BOTH
> versions of expat:
>
> REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/packages/expat-1.95.7/lib/libexpat.so.5
> REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/packages/expat-1.95.8nb1/lib/libexpat.so.5
>
> I suppose that's not intended?)

The REQUIRES and PROVIDES information in pkg_info -B is not used for
anything right now, although we may use it later to warn about
possible shared library major number inconsistencies, for example.

The dependency mechanism in pkgsrc still functions by using a different
mechanism (namely the package version numbering scheme).

Regards,
Alistair