Subject: which LOCALBASE to use on non-NetBSD systems?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.sep.vier@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/2004 21:55:36
Hi,

I would like to know which path people on Solaris use for LOCALBASE.

Personally. I use LOCALBASE=/opt/pkg on Solaris (and Unixware) because
/opt is the "traditional" and recommended path for third-party
software on those systems and a few times I have met resistance to create
/usr/pkg like NetBSD does.

Another possible path, /usr/local, is often used by packages from
sunfreeware.com or some manually build software.

The choice of path for LOCALBASE may seem to be unimportant if you build
from source, just use what is most appropriate at your site during
bootstrap. Binary packages on the other hand need LOCALBASE to be a
path that is acceptable to a wide range of people.

Maybe this is also a question for other commercial UNIX Systems like
IRIX, AIX or Tru64?

ciao
     Klaus