Subject: Re: unzip doesn't need gmake
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/2004 09:47:14
On 09/25 11:00, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> If we are not using bmake, I think we should link bmake into
> TOOLS_DIR/bin/make unconditionally (well, except when gmake is to be
> used).  This could make packages behave in a deterministic way, because
> the make utility could be always the same across systems.

We already do that.

pkgsrc/mk/tools.mk:
revision 1.10
date: 2003/08/26 20:15:27;  author: jlam;  state: Exp;  lines: +39 -2
Create a symlink from the "make" requested by the package into
${TOOLS_DIR}/bin/make.  If a package wants GNU make, then it should
set:
        USE_GNU_TOOLS+= make

in the package Makefile.  Allow for USE_GMAKE to continue to work
until we get a chance to sweep through pkgsrc and remove the usage
of this now-redundant variable.

This change allows us to avoid patching makefiles that use a bare
"make" command to invoke sub-make processes.  Idea suggested by
salo@netbsd.org in pkg/22509.

So I think it's safe to remove the gmake build dependency.