Subject: Re: defaulting rc.d scripts to share/examples/rc.d
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/24/2004 09:43:07
--YhFoJY/gx7awiIuK

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:35:05PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> 1) /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d is the location for the examples to be installed.
> Other config examples are installed to /usr/pkg/share/examples. This is
> inconsistent.

this implies that the supplied rc.d scripts are "examples", which is
not entirely true.

> 2) pkgsrc users assume that /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d automatically works for
> starting at boot. If the scripts were in "examples" directory they'd know
> that they have to configure something extra.

imho you shouldn't have to. you should just be able to tweak a knob
and have things Just Work, using all of the rc.d scripts of currently
installed pkgs.

> 3) pkgsrc already has option to install from "examples" directory to real
> rc.d directory. Most pkgsrc users don't know about it.

that should be relatively simple to fix (and is related to having
things Just Work), but is a separate issue to the location of the
examples dir.

> 4) If you modify a rc.d script, your modifications could get removed or
> lost on upgrade.
>=20
> 5) Since the directory allowed customization before, it could be set to
> outside of LOCALBASE and cause problems with packaging list.

I use RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR=3D/etc/pkg/rc.d on a number of machines without
this problem. the proper way of supplying rc.d scripts doesn't need
them in the PLIST.

it also seems that RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR is already an absolute path,
so ${PREFIX}/${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR} would break things.

grant.

--YhFoJY/gx7awiIuK

--YhFoJY/gx7awiIuK--