Subject: Re: defaulting rc.d scripts to share/examples/rc.d
To: Hubert Feyrer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <email@example.com>
Date: 09/23/2004 16:35:05
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > By the way, /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/ (as it is now) doesn't make sense to be the
> > "examples directory". Others have already said this, so I plan to fix.
> I didn't understand what's wrong with /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.
> Can you please explain?
It had been explained several times before. But since
mail-index.netbsd.org doesn't work at this time, I'll mention it again.
1) /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d is the location for the examples to be installed.
Other config examples are installed to /usr/pkg/share/examples. This is
2) pkgsrc users assume that /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d automatically works for
starting at boot. If the scripts were in "examples" directory they'd know
that they have to configure something extra.
3) pkgsrc already has option to install from "examples" directory to real
rc.d directory. Most pkgsrc users don't know about it.
4) If you modify a rc.d script, your modifications could get removed or
lost on upgrade.
5) Since the directory allowed customization before, it could be set to
outside of LOCALBASE and cause problems with packaging list.
6) Once this patch is done, we can clean up MESSAGE files and have an
automatic +DISPLAY telling pkgsrc admin how to use the RCD_SCRIPTS.
Other pkgsrc users had noted this. There is a PR about it too (or used to
Jeremy C. Reed
BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links