Subject: Re: ImageMagick error
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: admin@datazap.net <admin@datazap.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/23/2004 18:09:43
Hi John,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, John Klos wrote:
> > I wondering if there is any hope of using ImageMagick with NetBSD 1.5.3 on
> > 68k. I have not been able to get this to work. This is the error I get:
> >
> >> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_BZ2_bzCompressEnd" in
> >> convert:/usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.5.28
> >
> > But even updating to the lastest pkgsrc doesn't help. It is give a
> > "/usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol" error.
>
> At this point, short of trying to recompile it all from scratch, the
> easiest thing to do would be to bite the bullet and upgrade. It seems a
> little extreme, but in all, it'd be less work than trying retrofit the
> packages to a.out NetBSD.
>
> And you might as well skip 1.6 and go straight for 2.0. You could make a
> copy of your /etc, have a 2.0 /etc in some directory, edit all of the
> files to make sure they'd be 2.0 happy, and have everything installed and
> running again in short order.

This is my thinking. I need to jump right to 2.0.

> Do you have physical access to your Amiga, or is it colocated far away?

I don't have physical access to Agnus. She is colocated in Virginia
(superb.net), and I am in the process of moving. I can't really take her
offline for to long because everyone will quit (if I am down for 5 minutes
I get phone calls and emails). So, I was hoping that someone would have a
quick fix.

Have your tried compiling ImageMagick on a 68k system (with 2.0)? If you
have, when you use the convert command what happens, do you get you an
error?

Also, what I don't understand is why doesn't it work when I compile it
from an old pkgsrc (before elf). For right now, I would be happy to get
even an old version of ImageMagick work. This way I could upgrade properly
when I have time.

Some of the older versions will let you build without one of the
dependants by adding something to mk.conf. I am going to try this, because
I don't know what else to do. This was the solution for get wget to work
was to build it without ssl support, but I have been having problem with
wget since right after 1.6 came out.

Thanks,
Al