Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/XFree86 ??
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2004 08:23:28
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> For some strange reason, my XFree86 packages are being installed in
> /usr/pkg/XFree86 instead of /usr/pkg/X11R6 as is specified in mk.conf:
>
> X11_BASE=/usr/pkg/X11R6
> X11_TYPE=XFree86
>
> This is on Slackware Linux (9.1). There seems to be a /usr/pkg/X11R6
> directory. But it may be left over from a prior attempt at getting
> pkgsrc working. I deleted all packages and decided to start fresh. There
> is also /usr/X11R6, which I assume was put there by some slackware
> packages, although I've slimmed those down even beyond Martti's list.

/usr/X11R6 used to be used for installing X related software. But now, it
is not touch and is where the native X is installed.

mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk has:

# Default installation prefix for meta-pkgs/XFree86 and
# meta-pkgs/xorg.
.if defined(X11_TYPE) && !empty(X11_TYPE:MXFree86)
X11ROOT_PREFIX?=        XFree86
.elif defined(X11_TYPE) && !empty(X11_TYPE:Mxorg)
X11ROOT_PREFIX?=        xorg
.else
X11ROOT_PREFIX?=        # empty
.endif

I assume you set your X11_TYPE to XFree86.

One idea would be to set your X11ROOT_PREFIX to "X11R6" in your mk.conf
and then it would install to /usr/pkg/X11R6. But then you could not easily
install X.org and XFree86 implementations at the same time.

Another idea would be to set X11BASE to "/usr/X11R6" to use it. (I think
that may not be honored though unless you modified
meta-pkgs/XFree86/Makefile.common).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/