Subject: Re: Package Pain Prevention Procedure
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2004 10:56:03
On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:18:18PM +0100, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> install the new binaries. i use pkg_chk -r ; pkg_chk -abk to do that, but
> that depends on having pkgchk.conf set up.

When you say "having pkgchk.conf set up" what do you mean exactly?

The reason I ask is that I have struggled for the last two years to find easy but good ways to update all the packages on my system without losing those that don't build (it's no fun to restart apache only to realize it's no longer installed). I have read about many different methods which seem to work, but couldn't find one that was simple enough that I trusted myself not to futz it up.

As far as I can tell, running pkg_chk -r will delete all the out-of-date packages, and pkg_chk -abk will add missing packages (that have been uninstall with -r) using binary packages (that we just built) and continuing if there are errors.

How do you avoid uninstalling packages for which the compilation failed (-r removes all old packages if I understand correctly)? Is this what pkgchk.conf is for?

Sincerely,

-- Erik Osheim