Subject: Re: Remove devel/cmdline?
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2004 08:13:57
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 08:35:14AM +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:44, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

> is no
> probably worth

> > > Is the package broken?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Does it work for gcc 2.x and official NetBSD release?
> >
> > In 1.6.2, probably.  But it's broken in 2.0, as shown by latest bulk builds
> (and
> > as I've just verified).
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> G'day,
>
> why not just mark the package not suitable for netbsd > 1.6.2 in which case it
> would make sense to remove cmdline once netbsd <= 1.6.2 is nolonger
> supported. cmdline may not be a dependency of another package in pkgsrc, but
> may be in fact used by developers.

I think that, moving forward, if the package won't build using GCC 3.x
and there are no forthcoming updates or fixes, we should just mark the
package as BROKEN.  FWIW, for this particular package, I originally
imported it and I think I was probably the only one that ever used it.
There are much better C++ classes for cmdline support nowadays, and
devel/cmdline is dead code, so I say we should just remove it.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>