Subject: Re: What is openoffice-linux-112-services.rdb for?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Michael Rauch <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2004 13:42:16

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:22:09AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I see that misc/openoffice-linux retrieves and installs
> openoffice-linux-112-services.rdb.
> What is it for?

it is a workaround against a problem in the NetBSD 1.6* Linux emulation
layer. The syscalls for p{read,write} were erroneously implemented as plain
{read,write} calls (src/sys/compat/linux/common/linux_file.c 1.61->1.62),
which let fail writing that file (services.rdb).
As this file is always the same for a standard installation, one can just
copy a known good version into its place.
I have to admit that a comment in the Makefile wouldn't have been a bad