Subject: binary pkgs for 2.0 using 2.0_BETA
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2004 04:46:51
I'm wondering if it's possible to build binary packages on NetBSD-2.0_BETA
in such a way that the binary packages appear, in every way, to have
been built on NetBSD-2.0.  My reason for asking this is that the
upcoming 2.0 release will not significantly differ from 2.0_BETA, and
most (if not all) packages built using 2.0_BETA will be usable on 2.0.
I would like to be able pre-generate NetBSD-2.0 binary packages using
2.0_BETA on some slow platforms, e.g. mac68k, that can take many, many
weeks to bulk build pkgsrc.  Is this possible?  I'm soliciting solutions
as well as implementations of these solutions to improve our release
process, both for NetBSD and for pkgsrc itself.

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>