Subject: installing many files in subdirectories ... and cpio
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/31/2004 22:08:43
pkgsrc has use of cpio for installing files. Example:
emulators/linux-locale/Makefile
cross/i386-linuxglibc1/Makefile

I thought I saw a use of pax to install cpio files. But I don't see now.

And pax is used to extract cpio distfiles. Example:
devel/sfio/Makefile
sysutils/storage-manager/Makefile
fonts/chkfontpath/Makefile

And cpio is used to extract cpio distfiles. Example:
fonts/ko-mizi/Makefile
cross/i386-linux/Makefile

Variable CPIO does not exist.

Should we define CPIO? Should we get rid of all cpio use and just use PAX
since it supports same?

I am using for a new package (openclipart):

CPIO?=                  /usr/bin/cpio

        cd ${WRKSRC} && ${FIND} [a-z]* \! -name "*.png" |       \
                ${CPIO} -p ${PREFIX}/share/openclipart

Should I use cpio? Or what is the recommended way to pass through?

By the way, the tarball is 51MB unextracted. I also see that
print/teTeX-sharesrc actually unextracts the tarball from the distfiles
itself in the do-install target to the install location. Should I do that
instead?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/