Subject: Re: taking a long time to check maximum length of command line arguments
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/31/2004 10:17:23
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 05:04:31PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 65536
> The above may have taken five or ten minutes on a production NetBSD/amiga
> 1.5 system I am using today. This happened a couple times. (I am building
> libtool-base.)
> What is the best way to make autoconf configure scripts in general to skip
> this?

This check is overriden by for all packages that have

However, building libtool by itself does not define USE_LIBTOOL, so the
value is not applied to it.  Maybe changing the conditional in defs.*.mk
to something like:

.if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE) && \
    (defined(USE_LIBTOOL) || ${PKG_BASE} == "libtool")

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -