Subject: pango update and shared libraries numbering
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/30/2004 17:26:18
Hi all,

I'm about to update pango to 1.4.1; I see that the major version
number in shared libraries has increased.  This is due to the bug in
our libtool (which will be fixed after the freeze), not because
compatibility has been broken (in fact, it's just an update from
1.4.0 to 1.4.1...).

For example, libpango-1.0.so.399.1 is now libpango-1.0.so.400.1.
The tipical solution could be to bump the version in the buildlink3
file (because dependent packages will be broken) and bump the
revision for all packages using pango.  *Ouch*.  A big PITA for this
minor change, and *lots* of packages will need a revision bump.

So... instead of doing this, I'm thinking about adding symlinks to
make the old names still available; this way existing packages will
not break.  This hack will be removed when libtool is fixed (as the
revision bumps will be done anyway).

Do you think this is an appropiate solution?

Thanks

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>