Subject: pkgsrc development platform resources
To: None <,>
From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/18/2004 15:14:14
Greetings. I work in Sun's Solaris product group developing
community and open source software (OSS) programs, and I'd like get
people's thoughts on the following:

There appear to be three leading OSS ports projects that support
Solaris (SPARC and x86): pkgsrc,, and In an effort to help grow these projects, I've
been trying to lobby my management to provide server resources
somehow. To make a long story short, my boss recently said he could
maybe make a Solaris server or two (one SPARC one x86?) available
over external DSL for a project to use for builds or whatever. The
only catch is, it can't eat up tons of DSL bandwidth (e.g. lots of
file transfer activity).

Eric Boutilier
Sun Microsystems Inc.
My Blog: