Subject: Re: Fwd: pkg/26633: package ABI is often broken on NetBSD due to
To: Noriyuki Soda <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2004 01:44:18
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> Or, perhaps this may be btter:
> 	major=.`expr $current - $age`
> 	versuffix="$major.$age"

> Is there any reason that it's better to choose $major.$age.$revision?
> Compatibility with Linux?

Well, partly -- it would mean less divergence from the vanilla libtool.
However, a.out still requires a two-part version, so if three-part versions
are used for *any* platform (even if not on NetBSD), PLISTs will need all of
the following:

Allowing automatic shlib handling to fix them up, of course.

I'm considering doing one better by having the automatic shlib handling
parse the .la files to figure out the correct per-platform version
extension, thus requiring only the .la to exist in PLIST.  I'm not sure how
feasible it is yet; it just came to me as a possibility thought today.
Stay tuned.

-- Todd Vierling <> <>