Subject: Re: Fwd: pkg/26633: package ABI is often broken on NetBSD due to
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/15/2004 01:44:18
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> Or, perhaps this may be btter:
>
> 	major=.`expr $current - $age`
> 	versuffix="$major.$age"

> Is there any reason that it's better to choose $major.$age.$revision?
> Compatibility with Linux?

Well, partly -- it would mean less divergence from the vanilla libtool.
However, a.out still requires a two-part version, so if three-part versions
are used for *any* platform (even if not on NetBSD), PLISTs will need all of
the following:

lib/libfoo.so
lib/libfoo.so.1
lib/libfoo.so.1.2
lib/libfoo.so.1.2.3

Allowing automatic shlib handling to fix them up, of course.

HOWEVER:

I'm considering doing one better by having the automatic shlib handling
parse the .la files to figure out the correct per-platform version
extension, thus requiring only the .la to exist in PLIST.  I'm not sure how
feasible it is yet; it just came to me as a possibility thought today.
Stay tuned.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>